Ask Doug

Can I Transfer DRIPs from Street Name into Name of Record?

Q. I'm thinking of joing a DRIP. I plan on purchasing the initial share via an on-line broker. Will they let me register my shares from street name to my own name of record?

Stock CertificateA. Yes, any brokerage firm will transfer any stock in your account from street name to your name, and send you a certificate. However, many will charge you for it. The fees could range from $15 to $50. You need to consider those fees in addition to commissions if you decide to proceed with any firms to acquire the first shares you need to open a DRIP account.